LOCATION: DEEPER LIFE BIBLE CHURCH HEADQUARTERS, GBAGADA
PREACHER: OUR FATHER IN THE LORD, PASTOR W.F. KUMUYI
TOPIC: EVERY ESTHER NEEDS A MORDECAI
TEXT: ESTHER 2:7,11,20
* 7 And he brought up Hadassah, that is, Esther, his uncle's daughter: for she had neither father nor mother, and the maid was fair and beautiful; whom Mordecai when her father and mother were dead, took for his own daughter.
* 11 And Mordecai walked every day before the court of the women's house, to know how Esther did, and what should become of her.
* 20 Esther had not yet shewed her kindred nor her people; as Mordecai had charged her: for Esther did the commandment of Mordecai, like as when she was brought up with him.
There are people who are asking questions about why Esther married King Ahasuerus but this is not the session to unravel why this happened, or why that happened. Sufficient to say that (Deuteronomy 29:29 says, The secret things belong unto the LORD our God: but those things which are revealed belong unto us and to our children for ever, that we may do all the words of this law) So, it is only those things that God reveals to us we have to deal with. Those things which He has chosen to deal with are His.
As you pick up the story of Esther, looking at it from the angle you understand, that Esther was picked up and taken care of by Mordecai, we see the providence and acts of God, and you are moved to ask yourself, why am I here? What is the purpose for which I came to this world? What are the things that will help me to be what God created me to be as His own will is revealed in my life?
Esther obtained favor from the king because she has found favor before God. Favour of man cannot put us on the map or the place where we have to occupy in history or redemption but Esther received favour from God, in New Testament language, we would say, she was saved by grace, and her name entered the book of God. In the whole Bible, only the books of Esther and Ruth are written of women.
As for Esther, there was no record of sin, blemish, worldliness, evil, transgressions or pride in her life. This is not possible except through grace which comes with genuine salvation.
She was teachable, bendable, righteous, and humble even with her position as Queen to the greatest King/Emperor who was reigning over 127 provinces at that time. These attributes are not what we should overlook. Her life was characterized by intercession, prayer, and fasting (she said, if I perish, I perish) just like Apostle Paul who had great concern and burden for the salvation of Israel).
Esther’s life was characterized by self sacrifice, concern for her people, courage, self control, divine wisdom, invincibility. Her wisdom saved and preserved the whole nation, through which our Lord would come, so they would not be destroyed. She became the source of national joy.
I pray for you, that God will give you a place on the map, in the nation, in the church, and you will be what God has created you to be. Amen! God has His will and purpose. Known unto God are all His works from the foundation of the world. Nothing happens to a redeemed one by accident. YOU ARE NOT AN ACCIDENT. God knows about you and what He is going to take you through. He knows the height you are going to get to, and you will get there in Jesus name.
Esther needed a Mordecai. She had no father, mother, teacher or helper. Whatever you lack you will get in Jesus name.
A. THE GRACIOUS OPPORTUNITY UNDER A MORDECAI-MENTOR. Esther 2:7
* And he brought up Hadassah, that is, Esther, his uncle's daughter: for she had neither father nor mother, and the maid was fair and beautiful; whom M
* vs 20b . . . for Esther did the commandment of Mordecai, like as when she was brought up with him.
Mordecai brought up Esther as his own daughter. Every Esther needs a Mordecai for an opportunity to be brought up, disciplined and trained.
As you think about the revelation of scriptures:
1. Every orphan needs a guardian. Look around you, be a guardian, render necessary help to any orphan you see.
2. Every child needs a tutor
3. Every teenager needs a teacher
4. Every sinner needs a seeker
5. Every saint needs a shepherd
6. Every member needs a minister
7. Every minister needs a mentor
8. Every Joshua needs a Moses
9. Every Elisha needs an Elijah
10. Every Apollos needs an Aquila with Priscilla
11. Every Mark needs a Peter
12. Every Timothy needs a Paul
13. Every Lot needs an Abraham
14. Every believer needs the Holy Bible.
I pray that your mentor will not be far from you, but he or she will continually be around to mentor you until you get to the throne.
Apostle Paul as a mentor: II Timothy 1:1-2a,5
Timothy was converted and taught the way of the Lord by his mother and grandmother, so, he was not converted through the ministry of Apostle Paul yet he called him his beloved son (Acts 16:1-3) Paul spiritually adopted him, after others have labored to establish him in faith (II Timothy 1:1-2; 3:10-15) Timothy accepted Paul as his spiritual father and mentor, he did not say, “You are not my spiritual father, I was already saved before meeting you”.
Paul was the teacher, minister, pastor, shepherd and mentor of Timothy. He became what he became through the training of Paul (Philippians 2:19) In this text, Paul planned to send Timothy to Philippi to bring back to him true, unedited, unabridged and unadulterated report because he was dependable and selfless. Other people seek his own (vs 20-22)
I Corinthians 4:16-17. Paul was confident to send Timothy out to represent him (ch 16:10) Timothy received and accepted the training of Paul and the training turned his life around for the better.
Esther accepted the teaching and training of Mordecai. She recognized a good opportunity which she got not by merit. There was nothing she did to merit the opportunity. She did not miss the chance of a Mordecai-mentor. None of us will miss God-given chances in Jesus name. Amen.
B. GRATEFUL OBEDIENCE TO HER MORDECAI-MINISTER. Esther 2:20
Esther 2:20 Esther had not yet shewed her kindred nor her people; as Mordecai had charged her: for Esther did the commandment of Mordecai, like as when she was brought up with him.
Esther’s Obedience was not:
1. A grudging obedience. Esther’s obedience did not stop with when she was still with him, living under his roof. She still obeyed Mordecai even after she has become the queen.
2. A compelled obedience
3. Eye service obedience
4. Temporary obedience
5. Selective obedience
6. Deceptive obedience
7. Self centered obedience
But her obedience was:
1. Grateful and Graceful
2. Heartfelt and heartwarming (you will be happy you are a mentor to such people)
3. Pleasant and pleasing
4. Thoughtful and Thankful (she became like a daughter, appreciating all Mordecai’s care and concern
5. Pure and purifying obedience (she never posed a temptation to Mordecai with her beauty)
6. Constant and complete obedience (she took obedience as a lifetime career)
7. Prompt and proper (Mordecai never told her to do anything improper)
8. Prayerful and priceless
9. Scriptural and Sacrificial
You no longer have a father and mother, who is your mentor? John Wesley is my mentor. I read from his books and listen to his messages every month. They are now on tapes. Even this past week that ended yesterday, I still read his book.
Proverbs 22:6; 1:7-8,10-15. If you are fortunate to have Christian parents, listen to, obey and follow their instructions. (vs 10-15) Respect your father more than those prowling about the streets, deceiving young people.
ch 3:10-12. Young people, do not listen to people who make the instructions of your parents look bad (ch 4:1-4) Always humble yourself in the presence of your father. Always take instructions on what steps to take from your parents. Be teachable. Listen to your pastor, minister, mentor, and shepherd.
ch 5:7-9. Children, do not postpone your hearing and obedience. If Esther had given her flower to just anyone or one that is not under the control of her mother and father, the goodness originating from her would not be there, and she would have missed getting to the throne when the time came. May God help you, so that you will not do anything today that will take the throne away from you tomorrow. May God watch over you, may you not yield to pressure from temptress the way Samson budged to pressure from Delilah. Amen.
ch 6:20-23. As you go to school, do not be friends with a child that does not have rebuking or correcting parents. A child too free by himself or herself and flaunting it in your face is not the best of friend. That is not actually freedom but gradual suicide. The commandment of God is light. The world is dark, but the word of God sheds light to show us the way (vs 24-29).
ch 7:24-27. Children, listen to instructions, do not turn your ears away. Some people always trust on their abilities to resist temptations. People that are proud and self-confident are the first to fall. The house of a whorish woman is the way to hell fire. You will not go there in Jesus name. Amen.
C. THE GLIDING OBLIGATION OF MEANINGFUL MEMBERSHIP. Esther 2:21-23
* 21 In those days, while Mordecai sat in the king's gate, two of the king's chamberlains, Bigthan and Teresh, of those which kept the door, were wroth, and sought to lay hand on the king Ahasuerus.
* 22 And the thing was known to Mordecai, who told it unto Esther the queen; and Esther certified the king thereof in Mordecai's name.
* 23 And when inquisition was made of the matter, it was found out; therefore they were both hanged on a tree: and it was written in the book of the chronicles before the king.
Here is something that God sees as the obligation of every saint, members, and leadership in the church.
Mordecai was privy to the plot by two people planning to kill King Ahasuerus. Mordecai did not look the other way, but told Esther about it. There are people who do evil and threaten those who would have reported to a higher authority. They threaten to deal with them, thus everybody keep quiet, thereby making evil to grow. We will not be quiet, and we ourselves will not do evil. Amen.
I Corinthians 1:11; 5:1. Apostle Paul heard about the evil in the church through a household. He did not ignore the report but talked about and dealt with it openly. It is the obligation of every believer to report evil anywhere it is seen. Believers should not only be active in spiritual things, but active in reporting evil (ch 11:18-19) if you are a pastor, and report comes to you about immorality or any other evil practice going on in the church, I pray that you will have courage to tackle it and cleanse the church.
I Samuel 2:22-24,27-30. Eli was very old. There is nothing wrong with very being old but the courage has become old and stale, his backbone has become bent and stiff, his eyes dim and almost blind, his heart has become insensitive to issues. He was so blind, weak, and did not know - just hearing- that his sons were defiling women who came to make sacrifice at the tabernacle. Eli’s approach was too weak compared to the terrible things the children were doing. His rebukes were not strong and effective enough. (ch 2:22-24,27-30) God sent a prophet to convey His judgment to him.
Some pastors today honor sinning, rotten, dirty, backslidden members above God. They say, “We need them if we drive everybody away if we discipline everyone that commits adultery and fornication, or steal, or goes to the shrine, how many people will we have left?” All because the guilty people are their sons, daughters or acquaintances (either biological or spiritual).
There is no eternal security, God said: BE IT FAR FROM ME! God told Eli that he will not keep on doing evil and stay on the work because his life and family life do not honor Him. I pray God will not throw you away.
Romans 1:32. Some people have pleasure in people that do evil. Some leaders will not remove the bad eggs from the good ones because they have run under their shelter. They then provide shelter to them under the umbrella of partiality. They leave them in their areas of work: choir, ushering departments, etc. despite the fact that they are not doing well. They are only concerned in their gifts. You love the people you expose and report so that they will not go to hell fire (Ephesians 5:11).
I Timothy 5:22. Lay hands suddenly on no man, neither be partaker of other men's sins: keep thyself pure. When you cover evil doers in the church, when you gloss over and you do not report their sins, you are partakers of their sins. You are indirectly encouraging them.
Esther 2:21-22. Esther had the habit of always acting on anything she heard from Mordecai promptly. You will act promptly on the words of God you hear. She reported the case to the king in Mordecai’s name, giving honour to whom honour is due. She did not take the honour to herself, but specifically mentioned his name to the king. The good deed was recorded in the book of the kings, and it appeared that everyone has forgotten. Your good deeds will not be forgotten. Amen.
Even though the deed appeared to have been forgotten, a problem appeared: Mordecai would not bow down to Haman, and he was very angry, wrathful and furious. When he learned that Mordecai was a Jew, he decided to not only deal with him alone but exterminate all the Jews. He told his wife and friends who advised him to go and make a gallows, report Mordecai to the king and hang him.
All his evil intentions turned round and happened the other way. Haman was used in honoring Mordecai before he was hanged on his own gallows.
* ENEMIES WILL NOT HANG YOU
* EVERYTHING GOD HAS APPOINTED YOU TO DO, YOU WILL DO IN THE CHURCH AND EVERYWHERE
* YOUR GOOD WORKS WILL BE ON RECORD AND WILL NEVER BE FORGOTTEN
ch Esther 6:1-13
* NOBODY WILL HANG OR KILL YOU, YOUR GOOD WORKS WILL GO BEFORE YOU
* THE KING OF KINGS WILL NOT ALLOW YOUR ENEMIES TO TALK. HE WILL SEAL UP THEIR MOUTHS, AND EVIL INTENTIONS THEY WANT TO TAKE PERMISSION WILL NOT COME THROUGH
* THE LORD WILL HONOUR YOU PRIVATELY, PUBLICLY, IN THE CITY, IN THIS COUNTRY, THE LORD DELIGHTS TO HONOUR YOU, HE WILL SHOW YOU TO THE WORLD
* YOUR ENEMIES SHALL BOW BEFORE YOU
* YOUR ENEMIES SHALL BE DEFEATED
Mordecai had something on record with the king, that was why the king honored him.
You must have something good in God’s record. If you see any evil, backsliding going on, report it, go to them, help them to stop dishonoring God, help them to honour Him. It will go into record for you. In the day of your coronation and exaltation, all the good deeds you have done will come out publicly for the whole world to see.
I will see you when you are promoted and honored. I will see you on the day of your exaltation. Sow good seed now, do the good now, expose the evil now and God will promote you.
Every Esther needs a Mordecai, every member needs a minister. You need me, you need the word of God I’m preaching to you, rise up and talk to the Lord.